This year's theme:
This year's theme is?
What IS DIGITAL DISRUPTION?
Digital disruption is an innovative process, where technological innovation performance through disruptive solutions and services meets user demands with exponential growth rates, and create exponential disruption of existing markets.
Nearly all areas in the global society will to some extend be digitalized; and because the digital performance is characterized by exponential development, digital disruption is happening with a persistently faster increasing pace in more and more areas such as:
· Technology: Additive/new manufacturing (3D printing), drones, virtual reality…
· On demand services: Search engines, video-streaming, music-streaming…
· Network communication: Social media, learning, consulting…
· Sharing economy: Transport, hospitality, collaborative consumption…
· Grand challenges: Health, environmental change, energy…
The global digital mega-trend results in a society which can be characterized as the disruptive society, where professional innovation management is a key competence to cope with complex problems and grand challenges. Thus interdisciplinary theory development in the field is necessary, addressing questions on different levels:
· Mega trend level: What drives digital disruption?
· Society level: What are the macro conditions for digital disruption, and what competences are needed in the global disruptive society, and how can disruption create sustainable development?
· Network level: How to collaborate across organizations on digital disruption to ensure knowledge and access to competences?
· Strategy level: How to manage digital disruption in organizations?
- How to react when digital disruption appears?
- How to act to be a digital disrupter?
· Process level: How to implement and execute digital disruptive strategies?
· Personal level: How does digital disruption influence people’s life?
Image from: http://insurancereboot.com/category/insurance-technology/
Innovation and business model
Learn about the relationship between innovation and a good business model through this video Business Model Innovation (8 min 22 sec). The film shows how innovations come into being and what myths they are associated with them. From Institute of Technology Management at the University of St. Gallen. For more information on BMI see www.bmi-lab.ch.